For so many years I questioned myself as a woman; my validity and self esteem values held low and unworthy. The original seed of this fruit was planted when I was young, fostered by the combination of an overly sensitive and shy temperament, with loving yet somewhat aloof parents. No blame of events nor disdain at this point, for I realize these things have made me who I am. And this personal identity which I now carry with me, is good.
In a marriage that was one sided for so many years, I continued my self blame...thinking I was asexual, and alone. Who would want me, this fat and gross thing? I covered it up as best I could lest anyone find out that "truth". Super-overachiever with a handle on everything and anything, I controlled and commandeered what I could. A husband who was willing to let me because it was easier and so he did not have to- fostered by his own feelings of low self esteem and distraction. He too, lived in a place of hiding- from me, himself, and the world lest he be "found" out. His ability to intimidate any challengers, chest bumping lines made him the offensive linebacker in our marriage. I was the quarterback, doing the deeds and the needs.
It worked, but this dynamic was fostered on shaky cement. We were not in a place to foster and encourage (to make it to the end goal anyway) the needs for a truly balanced relationship. And this gave way to the foundation of our house, our family.
Today, I forgive myself my foibles and that, in itself, is hugely liberating. I wish, I pray, I feel. I dream. And i take care of myself, with tentative steps to try on shoes of better self-image. I try on the feeling of feeling pretty, without laughing or internally sneering at myself. Whoopi Goldberg in the Color Purple, with her hand over her mouth to hide her smile- to hide her vulnerability- no more! And this makes me feel released from having to do everything, BE everything. The people or person outside myself are/is no longer there to encourage that conflicted tiger persona...and that is bliss. I can be myself, without blame (inside my house anyway).
Where this will lead I do not know. It still feels tentative, although by now my steps are so much more assured. I will continue to grow and challenge positively myself and my self image. To even try to tackle myself in toto, as a beautiful (and even sexual?? Gasp) woman or, just: as a good and valid human being. To let this grow into my authentic and fully real skin. Excitement.
No comments:
Post a Comment